There is nothing like playing outside during the summer. It is just one of the things that makes the summer my favourite time of the year. I mean, who doesn’t like going barefoot and relaxing in the warm weather?
Throughout my teenage years, I used to run day camps – some were half days, others were full days. My favourite job was planning the different games or activities that we would play together. Yes, many of them were team based activities (afterall, when dealing with 50-200 kids, you need team based games). One of the outside activities we all loved, well other than parachute and rubber chicken games, was creating giant bubbles! I mean, bubbles that you can actually stand in and everything! Here’s how you do it!
Materials you need:
- Baby pool
- 3 empty gallon-sized jugs
- 6 cups Dawn dishwashing soap (or 2 cups per gallon)
- 3 cups corn syrup (or 1 cup per gallon)
- 3 packages unflavoured gelatin (1 package per gallon)
- Hula hoops
- Large tarp (to place beneath the baby pool – optional)
How to Make the Best Bubbles:
- The day before you want to make your bubbles, pour the Dawn, corn syrup, and gelatin into the bottom of the empty gallon jugs (I would recommend using a funnel to help with this). Very slowly add water to top off the jug. Seal and shake really well. Do this for all 3 gallon jugs. Allow to sit overnight.
- Loosely wrap string around the hula hoop so that the soap solution will grip the bubble solution better. You could also choose not to use the hula hoop and just go with the string.
- A few hours before you are ready to use the solution, pour into the baby pool. I have found that the longer you allow the bubble solution to sit in the pool, the better bubbles you will have.
- HAVE FUN!!